My Ugly Garden

My Ugly Garden

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sunflowers




















I admit it, I'm lazy.  And, I guess, cheap.  I bought cheap bird seed at the wild bird center, you know, the kind that will sprout.  That was before I started working on the yard.  From now on  I will spend a little extra for the non-sprouting seed and cut down on a little weeding.  On the plus side, these pretty little sunflowers sprouted from that seed. My kids picked them for me the other day. We put them, along with a couple sprigs of basil, in this vase that had belonged to my husbands grandfather.  I smile every time I pass by it.

The weather was so pleasant today that I had no excuse for not getting out into the Ugly.  I didn't bother taking pictures of more weeds. Honestly, I don't understand how they grow.  There is no water in the area I worked in today, the dirt is the consistency of cement and yet there are growing, no, flourishing, waist-tall weeds.  ARG!  It did feel good to clear that area though.  Now the kids can play over there without fear of being attacked by prickly weeds. Ultimately, I would like to plant some hydrangeas and hostas there, as it is quite shady in that part of the Ugly.  I may be able to pull it off, my neighbor has hydrangeas growing in her yard so I know they can stand the heat. Ah, another project to add to the list......

3 comments:

  1. You should see how high the weeds are in that far back part of our property!! It looks like where the wild things live!! I called to get someone out here to cut it, but so far nothing. They are peeking over the fence by more than a foot now!!

    Hey, that is pretty cool that you got some flowers out of the bird seed! I let mine drain, and now I refilled it. The birds haven't come yet. Funny, I guess it is word of "beak." hopefully they will return again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The suflowers are pretty.....they are actually not dying (so they must like the vase) and I like them! : )

    -S.S. (Sunburned Sophia)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, although I love living downtown, I miss being able to grow things!!! Not that I'm any good at it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete