My Ugly Garden

My Ugly Garden

Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring


Spring has definitely sprung here. And despite feeling a bit overwhelmed by the exponential growth of weeds around the Ugly, a bit of hope emerged. I was able to put a salad on the table composed of veggies grown in our yard! Ok, so it only has two lettuces in it, but I'm working on the baby step method here. Last fall, my oldest daughter and I planted several cool season veggies just to see what would happen. On Thursday I harvested two small heads of lettuce and some Miner's lettuce to compliment our pasta dinner. The Miner's lettuce is native here in California and some transplants were given to me last summer by a neighbor of mine. I was so excited when they sprouted a few weeks ago. They have a delicious and delicate flavor, and we actually preferred the taste of the Miner's lettuce over the traditional lettuce. It was topped with a simple shallot vinaigrette.

It is amazing how this simple little salad has strengthened my resolve to get more food growing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment