My Ugly Garden

My Ugly Garden

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wild Weather and Weeds



Here in sunny CA, we aren't used to very much variety in weather patterns. Mostly sun, fog and some rain, that's about it. So when we get hail, it is a newsworthy event. You can see the hail collecting on my comatose patio umbrella. This little bit of weather passed through yesterday, and today Daniel and I were able to head outside for a little bit. I often wonder if I have a bit of OCD when it comes to weed pulling in the back yard. The second picture is of Daniel hiding behind Mt. Weedmore.
Once upon a time I had a nice lush lawn, but a construction project cut the irrigation lines to both the back and front. So now weeds are choking out the precious little grass patches that are left. The dominant weed present right now is burclover. Currently it is a lush green color, however, this gives way to nasty little burrs that stick to everything. I have been pulling these out like a mad woman the last few days from a 3 by 6 foot area. The bad news is that I only have about 1000 square feet more to go. The good news is that there is a small patch of liberated grass. Why not just mow it down? Good question. I have a thing about lawn mowers. I leave that task to my husband. But he can only mow on the weekends and the last several have been to wet to mow. In the mean time the burclovers are starting to flower, so I will keep pulling until he gets a chance to clear the rest of it for me. Another possible down side to pulling is that there is now nice open dirt patches for new weeds to come up. But I am hoping that the grass will fill in first. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment